Thursday, July 26, 2012

Custody - equal time?

There is no clear cut answer to custody matters for everyone.  Each case is different.  For example, I represented a father that was a full-time doctor.  The mother was a part-time doctor.  I managed to convince the court that the father was better able to take care of their four year old daughter.  When I represented a Chicago police officer who was also a mother, I convinced the court that mom was more able to take care of the parent's daughter, even though she worked weird hours.

There are arrangements from bird's nest to equal time.  One of my clients decided to switch with the father every other month.  This sounded bad, since it is not done.  Yet, years later, the kids were enjoying this arrangement.  They had more stability with each change, but knew they were going to the other parent at the end of the month.

While the old standard was for fathers to have every other weekend and one evening a week, this is no longer being adhered to.  I just recently had a conversation with a judge that understood that both parents should have an equal upbringing in their child's life.  

The statute states the areas that the court must look at, but in the end, it is what is best for the child.


Contact me at Jeff@JeffJacobsonlaw.com for more information

JeffJacobsonLaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment